I’ll admit it. The first time I saw this picture, I laughed out loud as I repeated it in my best Sweet Brown voice. I was even going to post this as is, until I had a revelation. Take a second and really consider the kind of message inherent in statements like these. This is the kind of thing that causes many women AND men across the globe to be ashamed of their bodies: Fat shaming. This “war on fat” has many people bent out of shape, running to the next gimmick for the latest fat loss diet or magic pill.
When did fat become a bad thing? Contrary to popular belief, our bodies need fat to survive. Our bodies store energy in 3 different forms: Carbohydrates (aka Carbs), Proteins and Fats. You see, fat is literally stored energy. Just how important is fat for living organisms like me and you? Consider that fat:
- is an excellent source of energy—1 gram of fat is equal to about 9 calories of energy. Compare that to the 4 in Carbs and Proteins
- is an excellent source of Essential Fatty Acids
- helps digest, transport, and absorb essential fat-soluble vitamins ( A, D, E, K)
- helps build healthy brain cells
- helps build healthy sex hormones
- makes skin and hair healthier
- protects and cushions vital organs ( heart, kidneys, intestines)
The takeaway from this all is to eat the healthiest quality fats from nuts, seeds, vegetables, and animal sources. In moderation of course. We know that as with many good things, moderation is key. With all these great benefits, who could be mad at fat? So yes fat, I got time for you! Just store yourself in all the right places and we will be just fine.